Image segmentation is the process of partitioning an image into parts or regions. This division into parts is often based on the characteristics of the pixels in the image. For example, one way to find regions in an image is to look for abrupt discontinuities in pixel values, which typically indicate edges. These edges can define regions. Other methods divide the image into regions based on color values or texture.
|Global image threshold using Otsu's method|
|Multilevel image thresholds using Otsu’s method|
|Global histogram threshold using Otsu's method|
|Adaptive image threshold using local first-order statistics|
|Select contiguous image region with similar gray values using flood-fill technique|
|Segment image into foreground and background using active contours (snakes) region growing technique|
|Segment image into foreground and background using graph-based segmentation|
|Segment image into foreground and background using iterative graph-based segmentation|
|Segment image into two or three regions using geodesic distance-based color segmentation|
|Binary image segmentation using fast marching method|
|Calculate weights for image pixels based on image gradient|
|Calculate weights for image pixels based on grayscale intensity difference|
|K-means clustering based image segmentation|
|K-means clustering based volume segmentation|
|2-D superpixel oversegmentation of images|
|3-D superpixel oversegmentation of 3-D image|
Display Segmentation Results
Segmentation Using the Image Segmenter
- Getting Started with Image Segmenter App
This topic provides an overview of the Image Segmenter app and its capabilities.
- Segment Image Using Thresholding in Image Segmenter
- Segment Image by Drawing Regions Using Image Segmenter
- Segment Image Using Active Contours in Image Segmenter
- Segment Image Using Graph Cut in Image Segmenter
- Segment Image Using Local Graph Cut (Grabcut) in Image Segmenter
- Segment Image Using Find Circles in Image Segmenter
- Segment Image Using Auto Cluster in Image Segmenter
- Refine Segmentation Using Morphology in Image Segmenter
- Install Sample Data Using Add-On Explorer
Image Processing Toolbox Image Data package contains sample 3-D volumetric data.
Segmentation Using the Color Thresholder
- Segment Image and Create Mask Using Color Thresholder App
This example shows how to segment an image and create a binary mask image using the Color Thresholder app.
- Acquire Live Images in the Color Thresholder App
You can perform color thresholding on an image acquired from a live USB webcam.
- Image Segmentation Using Point Clouds in the Color Thresholder App
This example shows how to segment an image using the point cloud control in the Color Thresholder app.
Segmentation Using Gabor Filters, Superpixels, and Other Techniques
- Plot Land Classification with Color Features and Superpixels
This example shows how to perform land type classification based on color features using K-means clustering and superpixels.
- Segment Lungs from 3-D Chest Scan
This example shows how to perform a 3-D segmentation using active contours (snakes).
Segmentation Using the Volume Segmenter
- Create Binary Mask Using Volume Segmenter
This example shows how to segment a volume in the Volume Segmenter app.
- Create Semantic Segmentation Using Volume Segmenter
This example shows how to create a semantic segmentation of a volume using the Volume Segmenter app.
- Work with Blocked Images Using Volume Segmenter
This example shows how to work with a single-resolution blocked image in the Volume Segmenter app.