Friction velocity estimation from the Reynold stress tensor
Updated Sat, 02 May 2020 20:44:33 +0000
Friction velocity calculation with Klipp's method (2018)
The friction velocity is computed using a Matlab implementation of the method proposed by Klipp . This method has the advantage to avoid the correction of instrument tilt by using the Reynolds stress tensor invariants. In , the friction velocity calculated for neutral conditions is found to be in good agreement with the standard method. Larger discrepancies are expected for non-neutral conditions or low wind speeds but produce a dimensionless shear that scales well with the non-dimensional Obukhov length. Type of application: Micrometeorology, surface layer turbulence.
The present Matlab submission contains:
- A function "frictionVelocity.m", which computes the friction velocity using the standard method or the one proposed in . The latter method is more appropriate in complex terrain and a neutral atmosphere.
- An example file "Example1.mlx" that compares the 2 methods
- A data file "data.mat" that contains simulated wind turbulent velocity records
 Klipp, C. (2018). Turbulent friction velocity calculated from the Reynolds stress tensor. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, (2018).
E. Cheynet (2023). Friction velocity estimation from the Reynold stress tensor (https://github.com/ECheynet/Klipp2018/releases/tag/v1.4), GitHub. Retrieved .
E. Cheynet. ECheynet/Klipp2018 v1.4. Zenodo, 2020, doi:10.5281/ZENODO.3782792.
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- Sciences > Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences >
- Sciences > Material Sciences > Stress and Strain >
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/Klipp2018/releases/tag/v1.4
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/Klipp2018/releases/tag/v1.3
New Example file created + modification of the main function
Added the project website