FIG2MFILE - save a figure as an executable mfile
fig = figure number of figure to be saved
'myfig' = desired mfile name
(1) Most plots and images can be saved. Most data types can now be handled, including multi-level and multi-dimensional structs and cell arrays. In tests, GUIs can be handled; however, saving a GUI figure window does cannot save its associated callback functions and cannot preserve the numerical value of handles (since they are regenerated at the each figure creation).
(2) To answer the inevitable question, this function will be needed by authors who don't want to include a separate saved figure file in a release of their software, but would rather include the figure generation in their code (e.g. for a compiled software release).
(3) Complex figures can take a few minutes to reduce to m-file format. Disk usage greatly increases from fig-file format as one might expect. (Incidentally, zip-file compression reduces the size to roughly comparable with fig-file size.)
(4) The generated mfile contains a single function ("drawfig") which can be moved into other code as needed.
(5) The created function returns a handle to the figure when it is executed.
(6) ver 1.0: initial writing, Michael Kleder, July 2005
(7) ver 2.0: accept new & multi-level datatypes, Michael Kleder, Oct 2005
Michael Kleder (2022). FIG2MFILE - Save a figure as an M-file (ver 2.0) (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/8000-fig2mfile-save-a-figure-as-an-m-file-ver-2-0), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!