Policies and Statements
At MathWorks, we believe it is your right to know what information we collect, how we use it, and what your options are for its use. Below you can find details about:
- EU-US Privacy Shield and Swiss-US Privacy Shield information
- Information we collect
- How we use your information
- Reasons we share your information
- How to remove or update your information
- How your information submitted to community areas may be used
- Specific privacy practices
Head of Customer Service, MathWorks, 1 Apple Hill Drive, Natick, MA, 01760.
MathWorks has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Principles to an independent dispute resolution mechanism, the BBB EU PRIVACY SHIELD, operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit http://www.bbb.org/eu-privacy-shield for more information and to file a complaint. Please note that if your complaint is not resolved through these channels, under limited circumstances, a binding arbitration option may be available before a privacy shield panel.
When you access and use MathWorks products and services, MathWorks may collect certain types of information from you. This information includes:
- Name and contact information, such as your first and last name, phone number, mailing address, e-mail address, and country.
- Organizational information, such as the name of your company or institution and your role and title.
- Account information, such as your MathWorks account username and password.
- Payment information, such as your credit card number.
- License information, such as the MathWorks products and services you have purchased and the licensed users and devices for those products.
- Usage information, such as the web pages on our site that you have visited, which MathWorks products and services you are using, when you access or use our products and services, and error reports and performance data for our products and services.
- Device and network information, such as your IP address, operating system, preferred language, and browser type.
- Other information that you submit to MathWorks voluntarily, such as customer support requests, requests for information about upcoming events, files and data that you store using MathWorks’ online services, and submissions to MATLAB Central. (See the “How your information submitted to community areas may be used” section below for more details.)
In some cases, collection of information is required to provide you with a product or service. For example, to enable you to use our products, we may request or collect information such as your name, e-mail address, physical location, phone number, title, company name, and/or system login name. Such information may be used to activate, register, or update your product or license. This allows us to understand your requirements; to ensure effective licensing of our products; and to provide you with information that you may need for support in the future.
The MathWorks Web site also has several forms and additional collection methods that request contact, payment, and other information. Providing such information is optional, but you may be unable to complete certain transactions, obtain certain services, or access certain features of the MathWorks Web site or software without providing the requested information.
MathWorks uses the personal information it collects for the following purposes:
- To provide products and services that you request.
- To process and ship orders that you place with us, and to provide you with documentation or other material in support of your order.
- To manage licenses and ascertain use of our products and services.
- To administer and improve our products and services, including our Web site.
- To enable delivery of consulting or training services and participation in seminars, trade shows, or other events.
- To provide any communication or material necessary to respond to an order for a product or service, a request for support or information, or an application for a seminar, trade show, or other event.
- To solicit optional feedback in the form of surveys measuring customer satisfaction with MathWorks products, services, and events.
- To notify you of new products, updates, or other information related to your purchases or information requests.
- To provide important information regarding the renewal of agreements, version upgrades, and other alterations related to Company products and services used by customers.
- To send promotional material about our company, products, services, and events and, in some cases, on behalf of related third-party products, services, and events. You may choose not to receive this additional information by e-mail. (See "How to remove or update your information," below.)
- To process an employment application from you.
- To enforce our agreements or comply with obligations imposed by applicable laws, regulations, or a court or administrative order. We may be required to disclose an individual’s personal information in response to a lawful request by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
We may store your information outside your country of residence, wherever we or our third-party service providers operate.
MathWorks will not sell or rent your personal information to other companies. We will not disclose your personal information to other companies, except in the limited manner and for the limited purposes described below.
MathWorks may employ subsidiaries, partners, service providers, authorized distributors, and other third parties in order to fulfill the purposes described above, and will share information with them as needed for these limited purposes. These entities may be located throughout the world. For example, we work with third-party service providers to help us run conferences for our users and to store files that users upload to File Exchange. More details about our sharing of Web site-related information with third parties are available below, in the “Specific privacy practices” section.
MathWorks may also release current or past user information to third parties for limited purposes, such as investigative and enforcement purposes, in the event MathWorks believes that usage is (i) in violation of applicable MathWorks terms, and/or (ii) associated with the commission of unlawful acts. MathWorks may also disclose aggregate information that does not personally identify individuals to third parties.
In cases of onward transfer to third parties of data of EU and Swiss individuals received pursuant to the EU-US or Swiss-US Privacy Shield, MathWorks is potentially liable.
E-mail: MathWorks sends many types of e-mail including electronic newsletters (MathWorks News & Notes and MATLAB® Digest) and event announcements. You may choose not to receive these types of correspondence.
You can remove your name from e-mail lists using the E-mail list removal form. Note that if you are a licensed customer, you will continue to receive operational correspondence, such as e-mail notification of new releases and maintenance renewal notifications.
Correct/update your contact information: MathWorks acknowledges that you have the right to access your personal information. You also have the choice to opt-out of use of your personal information for any purpose other than the purpose for which the data was collected or which you have subsequently authorized. If you wish to access or limit use or disclosure of your personal information, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or phone at 508-647-7000.
MathWorks is committed to keeping your information as accurate as possible, in order to provide the best service to you. If you have a MathWorks Account, you may make the necessary changes to your information online. If you do not have an account, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 508-647-7000.
Certain areas of MathWorks Web sites allow users to submit information. For instance, users may participate in contests in MATLAB Central, contribute files and products to the File Exchange area, rate and review tools in Add-Ons, or submit questions and comments to ThingSpeak™ Community. MATLAB Central also contains access to the comp.soft-sys.matlab newsgroup, which is a USENET newsgroup and is not run by MathWorks. Be advised that any content you submit to these community areas, including personal information, is not subject to the protections that may be afforded information collected under other sections of the MathWorks Web site. The content you submit will be accessible from any part of the world via Web technology, and any information your submissions contain may be used by MathWorks and the public, both within and outside the country from which you posted.
Web site and online services
When you visit the MathWorks Web site and access “My Account” services, one or more cookies may be placed on (or read from) your machine if your browser is set to accept cookies. A cookie is a small data file that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your Web browser. These cookies do not store any personal information on your hard drive. They consist of a simple code that is used to access your account information, maintain current session data, gather broad demographic information, and help analyze Web site traffic. MathWorks may use such non-personal information for a variety of purposes including, but not limited to, market research and improving the content of our Web site.
Although Web browsers typically allow cookies by default, you may choose not to receive cookies by modifying the settings of your Web browser to disable cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to take advantage of all of the features of this Web site or other Web sites you visit.
Web analytics and bookmarking
MathWorks engages a third-party Web traffic analysis company to log aggregate information coming through our Web site on our behalf. MathWorks controls how that data may and may not be used. When you visit our Web site, the third-party Web traffic analysis company may use technical tracking methods such as cookies that will be listed under the domain 2o7.net, and Web beacons, on our behalf, and may receive anonymous information about your browsing on our Web site. We may also use these technical tracking methods in e-mails to determine whether the recipients have opened such e-mails, clicked on links contained in those e-mails, and continued to browse our Web site. We direct the third-party Web traffic analysis company to collect information that is unique to individual visitors but is not personally identifiable to the third-party Web traffic analysis company. We do not share any personally identifiable information, such as your name, street address, or e-mail address, with the third-party Web traffic analysis company.
We allow third-party companies, including a third-party social bookmarking service, to collect certain anonymous information when you visit our Web site and share or bookmark content. We do not share any personally identifiable information with these third-party companies.
Do Not Track
Like most other companies, our website and online services are not consistently configured to respond to browsers' "Do Not Track" signals because at this time no formal "Do Not Track" standard has been adopted. Learn more about "Do Not Track."
MathWorks Store has security measures in place to protect the order information under our control against loss, misuse, destruction, and alteration. We use industry-standard security measures called SSL encryption. Encryption helps protect your credit card number and personal information by scrambling the data in transit to the MathWorks Store. We encrypt every order. If you would prefer to give your information by phone, you may call 508-647-7000. MathWorks uses a PCI-compliant third-party vendor to securely process your order. MathWorks does not store your credit card information.
MathWorks stores data that you choose to send from your ThingSpeak-enabled data source. You can choose to make that data public or private. Public data, or other public submissions you make via the ThingSpeak Web site, is generally displayed with your username and a link to your profile. You can choose to make your profile public or private. If your profile is public, it will display information to the public that you choose to share, such as a link to your own Web site or the channels you follow.
License management and product usage
Most MathWorks products and services contain technology for license management and for the prevention of unlicensed use. Most MathWorks products and services also contain technology that sends usage and error reports to MathWorks both in the course of normal usage and in the event of a software crash. This technology causes the products and services to send messages to MathWorks over the Internet that contain network, device, license, and usage information. This information may include the products and services you accessed, the length of your session, errors that occurred, your IP address, a license identifier, and your MathWorks Account identifier. In some cases, you can opt out of sending these reports by selecting an option in the applicable product; consult the MathWorks documentation for instructions.
Updated April 12, 2017