MATLAB Answers

What is it called when I specify a vector output of solutions from, say, fsolve?

1 view (last 30 days)
Noob on 2 Oct 2020
Commented: Rik on 2 Oct 2020
I have a simple question -- just a matter of lingo, I think:
The fsolve algorithm gives all these outputs when it arrives at a solution:
[ x, fval, exit_flag, output, Jacobian ]
If I only write code such as
x = fsolve(f, x_guess)
then I get simply the solution from fsolve.
But if I write
[x, fval] = fsolve(f, x_guess)
then I get both the solution as well as the function evaluation at that solution.
And ditto for exit_flag, output, Jacobian.
What is this process called, when I enlarge the vector output to specify what I want the code to bring back?
Sorry, I know it's a very basic question, but I just want to use the correct lingo.


Sign in to comment.

Accepted Answer

Rik on 2 Oct 2020
Those are called output arguments. Sometimes functions will use the nargout function to determine which calculations should be performed.

More Answers (0)



Community Treasure Hunt

Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!

Start Hunting!