Linear vertical vibrations of suspension bridges
Updated Thu, 14 May 2020 13:17:02 +0000
Linear vertical vibrations of a suspension bridge
The vertical eigenfrequencies and mode shapes of a single-span suspension bridge are computed using the method by Luco et Turmo . For the sake of completeness, the computed modal parameters are compared with those obtained using the method by Sigbjørnsson & Hjorth-Hansen  and Strømmen .
The submission contains:
- eigenBridge.m (it is identical to File ID: #51815) and is inspired from [5,6]
- eigenridge2.m based on works of . I am simply writing the equations and their solutions in a numerical way.
- eigBridge_Verification.m: its only purpose is to verify the numerical implementation of eigenBridge2.m
- Verifications.mlx : It is a verification of the works of , where I try to obtain exactly what  show in their paper.
- Application.mlx: I compare eigenBridge.m with eigenBridge2.m
Any comment or idea of improvement is warmly welcome.
 Luco, J. E., & Turmo, J. (2010). Linear vertical vibrations of suspension bridges: A review of continuum models and some new results. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 30(9), 769-781.
 Sigbjørnsson, R., Hjorth-Hansen, E.: Along wind response of suspension bridges with special reference to stiffening by horizontal cables. Engineering Structures 3, 27–37 (1981)
 Structural Dynamics, Einar N Strømmen, Springer International Publishing, 2013. ISBN: 3319018019, 783319018010
E. Cheynet (2023). Linear vertical vibrations of suspension bridges (https://github.com/ECheynet/eigenBridge2/releases/tag/1.5.1), GitHub. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- Physical Modeling > Simscape Multibody > Multibody Modeling >
- Signal Processing > Signal Processing Toolbox > Vibration Analysis >
- Engineering > Mechanical Engineering > Acoustics, Noise and Vibration >
Inspired by: Calculation of the modal parameters of a suspension bridge
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/eigenBridge2/releases/tag/1.5.1
Examples have been updated
Fixed some typos
Added the project website