Flutter velocity of a suspension bridge
Updated Fri, 10 Mar 2023 05:34:25 +0000
The coupled flutter velocity of a single-span suspension bridge is computed in the frequency domain
The critical flutter velocity Vcr of a suspension bridge is estimated using a simple computational model accounting for the lateral, vertical and torsional motion of the bridge deck and using a multimodal approach. The computation is conducted in the frequency domain using the method proposed in . The computed value of Vcr is compared to the famous analytical expressions from Selberg  and Rocard .
The present submission contains:
- The function flutterFd, which computes the critical flutter velocity following 
- The function VcrFlutter, which computes the critical flutter velocity following [2,3]
- An example file Example.m
- Two .mat files modalParameters_case1.mat and modalParameters_case2.mat that are used to load the eigenfrequencies and mode shapes of the two bridge models investigated
This is the first version of the submission. Some bugs may still exist. Any question, comments or suggestion is warmly welcomed.
 Jain, A., Jones, N. P., & Scanlan, R. H. (1996). Coupled aeroelastic and aerodynamic response analysis of long-span bridges. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 60, 69-80.
 Selberg, A., & Hansen, E. H. (1966). Aerodynamic stability and related aspects of suspension bridges.
 Rocard, Y. (1963). Instabilite des ponts suspendus dans le vent-experiences sur modele reduit. Nat. Phys. Lab. Paper, 10.
E. Cheynet (2023). Flutter velocity of a suspension bridge (https://github.com/ECheynet/FlutterBridge_FD/releases/tag/v1.2), GitHub. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- MATLAB > Mathematics > Numerical Integration and Differential Equations >
- Physical Modeling > Simscape Multibody > Multibody Modeling >
Inspired by: Calculation of the modal parameters of a suspension bridge
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/FlutterBridge_FD/releases/tag/v1.2
Added the project website