The ARP-4754 standard addresses the systems engineering aspects of aircraft certification including systems requirements, requirements validation, systems design, and system verification. It is supported by DO-178, which specifies objectives for flight software certification, and DO-254, which specifies objectives for flight hardware certification. ARP-4754A, released in 2010, provides information about the use of modeling and simulation for requirements capture, prototyping, and requirements validation.
Satisfying the objectives of standards such as ARP-4754, DO-178, and DO-254 can be time-consuming and expensive because it requires rigorous and well-documented verification activities.
Using Model-Based Design, engineers can satisfy ARP-4754 objectives while realizing cost and time-to-market benefits associated with early verification of requirements, automated linking to requirements, model simulation and analysis, model standards checking, report artifact generation, and test case reuse.
“Modeling with Simulink is instrumental to our team’s ARP 4754 work, specifically validating system-level requirements, developing requirements-based tests, and defining low-level software requirements that our supplier uses to produce DO-178 Level A flight code using Simulink and Embedded Coder.”Rodrigo Fontes Souto, Embraer
ARP-4754 Standards with MATLAB and Simulink
- System Composer for system architecture development
- Simulink for algorithm development
- Stateflow for logic and state machine development
- Simscape for plant modeling
- Aerospace Blockset for plant modeling
- Simulink Control Design for control system design and analysis
- Simulink Check for static model analysis
- Simulink Design Verifier for design error detection and property proving
- Simulink Test and Simulink Coverage for model verification
- Simulink Requirements for defining system requirements and traceability
- Simulink Report Generator for documenting models and traceability
- Simulink Test, Simulink Coder, and Simulink Real-Time for hardware in-the-loop testing
- DO Qualification Kit used in related DO-178 and DO-254 processes
- Embraer Speeds Requirements Engineering and Prototyping of Legacy 500 Flight Control System
- Airbus Develops Fuel Management System for the A380 Using Model-Based Design
- Cessna Enhances Antiskid Technology with Hardware-in-the-Loop Testing
- Korean Air Speeds UAV Flight Control Software Development and Verification with Model-Based Design
- Gulfstream Aerospace Develops Pilot-in-the-Loop Aircraft Simulator