Highlights
Follow

Poll is CLOSED

Poll

What continent are currently living in (even if just temporarily, like for school)?

North America
23%
South America
3%
Europe
40%
Asia, Middle East, India
26%
Africa
4%
Australia, Oceania, or Other
4%
6178 votes

Maria del Mar Diaz
Maria del Mar Diaz on 25 Apr 2022
Central America is neither in North America nor South America, but we still exist.
Vidhyalakshmi Sundara Raman
Vidhyalakshmi Sundara Raman on 18 Mar 2022

Why is the "Asia, Middle East, India" option so weird? If India is specified why aren't other South Asian countries specified? Why aren't other regions apart from Middle East specified? If it is all the same option, what is the point of specifying by region, or country? What..?

Image Analyst
Image Analyst on 20 Mar 2022

Only 6 answer options are allowed so some grouping of countries has to happen to have the whole world included. Sorry if my grouping didn't exactly match the 6 groupings you would have chosen.

Vidhyalakshmi Sundara Raman on 22 Mar 2022

I am not sure if you know this, India and the Middle East are part of Asia. What is the point of repeating them in the options?

Rik
Rik on 22 Mar 2022

Continents are not as fixed as you may expect. Splitting Afroeurasia into 3 continents only makes sense if you take culture into account (especially the Europe/Asia split). There are many who consider the Middle East to be a continent, and India is called a subcontinent so often I would not be surprised if many consider it a continent as well.

Also, these polls are not meant to be scientifically rigorous. If it were, the last option would probably also deserve some extra workshopping (to my understanding).

The commonly followed seven continent model lists Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe and Oceania as the seven continents. OP could have easily omitted Antarctica and followed the commonly used model.

"Only 6 answer options are allowed so some grouping of countries has to happen to have the whole world included", clearly OP is not aware that India and the Middle East are included as part of Asia in the 7-continent model.

I would recommend that you all educate yourself instead of trying to excuse your ignorance.

Bob
Bob on 5 Jun 2022
I think a better way to write this would be Asia (including Middle East and India), although in my high school geography the two are definitely part of Asia.
Rik
Rik on 22 Mar 2022

Excusing my ignorance? There is no need for such a childish outburst. Feel free to edit your comment to remove that remark (after which I will delete this comment). Since you're citing Wikipedia: you may want to read the 'assume good faith' section.

Oh and my source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent#Area_and_population

Rik
Rik on 4 Mar 2022

I suspect the timing of the post is the cause of the current percentage of Europeans (for the record: 9%).

Image Analyst
Image Analyst on 4 Mar 2022

I think that any of the polls in general are not that accurate until we get at least two hundred votes.

Image Analyst
Image Analyst on 3 Mar 2022

Link to all polls : Click here

See Also

Tags

No tags entered yet.